Another year is coming to a close, and we at Modern Reston are grateful to all the members of the community who have shared their stories with us. Reston is filled with fascinating people, culture, and events, and it’s a pleasure to be able to learn about them and share them with you. This year we had 85,000 readers, and we appreciate each one of you.
As we move forward into 2017, don’t forget to bookmark our home page and follow us on Instagram and Facebook to make sure that you don’t miss any of our latest stories. But first, let’s look back on the top 20 articles of 2016.
1. The Chinese Lantern Festival might be the most beautiful holiday lights show you’ve ever seen
People have loved this holiday lights show at Roer’s Zoofari, and for good reason. It’s a spectacular display of colorful lanterns that you don’t want to miss. It will be open nightly through January 15, 2017, so be sure to plan a visit if you haven’t seen it yet.
2. Reston National Golf Course Announces Land Sale to New Resort Developer
This article might be less funny in light of recent events, but it was HILARIOUS at the time. We had a ton of fun messing with your heads on April Fool’s Day. Thanks for that.
3. A Sneak Peek Inside the Gorgeous and Eagerly Awaited Lake Anne Brew House
The Lake Anne Brew House opened in April to huge crowds, and it has been a beloved part of Reston culture ever since. We gave you a photo tour of their gorgeous interior design before they opened.
4. The Ultimate Guide to Outdoor Things to Do in the Reston Area
Sometimes it’s a beautiful day outside, but you aren’t sure what to do to make the most of it. Here is our great list of suggestions, including landmarks, trails, parks, water fun, and day trips.
5. Reston’s Christkindlmarkt Returns with German Hospitality and Charity
Our readers love the German Christmas Market! We offered some information about this annual event, including its fundraising efforts for local charities.
6. Photo Gallery: The Blizzard of 2016 Buries Reston
This storm was one we won’t forget. The National Weather Service said we got 2.5 feet, but we’re pretty sure we had more. Here are photos of this amazing storm and the fun we had the day afterward.
7. Creative Date Night Ideas in Northern Virginia: Beyond Dinner and a Movie
Break out of your rut and sweep her off her feet with these ideas for date night. The list includes romantic settings, active fun, performances, museums, breweries, classes, and much more.
8. The 2016 Reston Summer Bucket List
Summer is arguably Reston’s best season, with concerts, lakes, festivals, pools, water sports, and scenic outdoor dining. This checklist helped you remember all the great things to do before the leaves began to change.
9. Home Tour: A Stunning Condo with Urban Style (for a Fraction of the Cost of Town Center Living)
Home tours are always some of our most popular articles, and this beautiful and skillful condo transformation was a big hit with readers.
10. The Inspiring Story of Small Change Consignment, the Little Shop of Hidden Treasures
We love the independent businesses of Reston, and there is something really special about this one. We loved learning more about the fascinating woman behind this heartwarming children’s store.
Rounding out the top 20:
11. Release Your Inner Ninja at the Northern Virginia Ninja Warrior Course
12. Hickory Cluster: A Mid-Century Architectural Gem by Designer Charles Goodman
13. Home Tour: A Photographer’s Mid-Century Townhouse Filled With Playful Details
14. 10 More Locals You Should Be Following on Instagram
15. Photo Gallery: The 2016 Reston Multicultural Festival
16. P.J. Mulligans Brings Some of the DC Area’s Greatest Irish Hospitality to Herndon
17. What I Observed While Talking to Dozens of People Playing Pokemon Go
18. An Inside Look at Berthold Academy: Reston’s New Montessori Elementary and Middle School
19. Photo Gallery: Your Pictures and Videos of the Blizzard of 2016
20. Before and After: A Home Stager Reveals Her Secrets
Many sincere thanks to all of you who supported us this year. We couldn’t have done it without your contributions, encouragement, and ideas. Reston is constantly changing, and we look forward to seeing what stories the new year will bring.
If you live in the Reston area and would like to contribute a guest post, please contact us at [email protected] with your ideas. Here are some topics you could consider:
- Promote a local charity.
- Nominate a house for a home tour.
- Share recipes for seasonal food.
- Give advice about a subject you know a lot about.
- Tell us about a hard-working community member who deserves recognition.
- Share your photographs of a local event.
- Tell us about a great band or artist.
- Tell us what you love about living here.
- Give a history lesson on a local topic.
- Recommend a road trip destination.
- Review a book by a local author.
Another way to help us is to share our articles with your friends and social network. Don’t let them miss out!
We appreciate all your support over the years and look forward to another year of living, working, and playing in this town we are lucky to call home.
Photography by Charlotte Geary
Modern Reston’s Top Stories of 2015
Modern Reston’s Top Stories of 2014
New Year’s Eve 2016-2017 Events in the Reston Area of Northern Virginia